Thursday, October 1, 2009

Samsung PN50B650 Makes me feel I made the right choice.

If you're in the market for a HDTV then the Samsung PN50B650 is worth a second look. Externally, the attractive Touch of Color design incorporated into the clear beveled edged glass exudes sophistication and class. Internally, the Crystal Full HD Engine and Samsung's e-panel technology translates into a blur free clear vibrant picture perfect for sports and movies alike.

Truthfully I started off in the HDTV market looking for a 52" LCD panel with 1080p and 120hz specs. After a month of searching I realized that a name brand set with the specs above was out of my budget. I wasn't considering a plasma because I thought it was outdated technology, fear of image retention (IR), cost of operation, and plasma's heavier weight difference. However, as I researched more into plasmas I learned that my fears were they themselves outdated. Plasma was not outdated technology, many companies were still pouring money into plasma R&D. IR for sure is still a concern but with some simple basic precautions and use of the built in pixel shifting option, IR has become a very minor concern. This set is also Energy Star compliant using 40% less power than prior years plasmas (as per Samsung's website) and comparable to LCDs of similar size. As for weight, I wasn't too concerned because my set wasn't going on a wall. Regardless, the weight difference to a LCD is only about 15 lbs or so. Also, this set comes with an attractive stand that allows the TV to rotate for optimal viewing.

The cons I have so far are: Even with the FilterBright technology incorporated into the screen, glare is still a factor. I have my set in a room with no curtains but no direct sunlight and find myself changing the brightness control at times during daylight use. While the Media 2.0 is a fantastic feature (and the reason why I highly recommend this set over the B550 for a few extra $) it can be slow at times. Lastly, the speakers on this TV are marginal. Not bad in loudness but definitely no mid range or bass as one would expect. You will eventually need something externally powered.

I will not bore you with pros and cons of this set's internal specs, you can interpret them anyway you want but for a non HDTV expert that was merely trying to get the best value for the money, with great picture quality and technology (e.g. Cinema Smooth 24p frame rate), in an attractive looking TV, this Samsung was a clear choice for me. Lastly, the other plasma I was considering was the Panasonic G10. It has slightly better reviews but esthetically IMO the Samsung was a clear winner. For the non HDTV expert like myself, the image quality differences were unnoticeable.

*I do not have the buzz or the pinkish hues some others claim on their sets.

No comments:

Post a Comment